If you want privacy and the ability to open and close your curtains, blinds, or drapes automatically from anywhere, installing a smart curtain is the ultimate in coolness and convenience. Now you can add automatic, remote control drapes to your home and be able to control them from your favorite app.
Smart home technology is rising, and smart curtains are now easier than ever to install and use.
There are literally dozens of options depending on how sophisticated or simple you want to get. Amazon.com and other online retailers carry several models, and selection can be confusing. In this article, I walk you through some of our favorite options available.
Once installed, you will have the ability to open and close your curtains whether you prefer to use your remote control or your favorite smart apps like Google Home, Alexa, HomePod, IFTTT, or another compatible app.
Say, “Alexa, draw the curtain,” to activate your curtains by voice, and your privacy is ensured.
- Why smart curtains?
- Top 3 smart curtains
- 1. Switchbot curtain motor (Most economical)
- 2. Graywind motorized blackout curtains (highest rated, top pick)
- 3. Homesupplier smart curtain system
Why smart curtains?
According to the FBI, over 1 million burglaries are committed each year. One burglary happens every 25.7 seconds, with the average burglary costing the homeowner about $2600. Garages and workshops are often targets because they contain expensive tools.
Garages are also one of the easiest ways to access the house since many homeowners access their homes through the garage. Whether garage entry is made using the garage door remote stolen out of your vehicle or through a door or window, privacy curtains can keep the curious thief from seeing what is inside.
With the dramatic increase in the Internet and smartphones, more and more homes are becoming smart-enabled.
Whether it is controlling the lights, thermostats, or video cameras, the Internet has changed how homeowners live. Smart devices are only going to increase in the years to come.
Privacy and security
Smart curtains allow you to quickly create privacy and increase your home’s security even when you aren’t home.
Imagine you are late coming home from work. A smart home can turn on your lights, close the curtains, adjust the temperature, even start your dinner. Simply by using a smartphone app.
Ideal for hard-to-reach, high windows
If you have a two-story room, garage, or other elevated areas like a foyer entrance, you can use smart curtains to open and close them without the need to get out a ladder.
Easier to operate for the elderly and disabled
Smart curtains are also a great option for the elderly or people with disabilities. They can be programmed to open or close automatically using a simple remote.
Can open and close using a programmable timer
Most smart curtain brands we looked at can also operate on a timer. This is our favorite feature because it will automatically open and close the curtains or blinds based on your program’s open and close times.
Shopping for smart curtains or blinds can be confusing. I will walk you through the available choices and show you that the whole process is fairly easy once you know what to look for.
Let’s get started!
Top 3 smart curtains
1. Switchbot curtain motor (Most economical)
The first item on our list is the Switchbot curtain motor. Unlike some others we looked at, this unit does not come with the curtain itself. Instead, it is a small electric motor that is Bluetooth-enabled and can be controlled by your smartphone. It comes with both iOS and Android support.
- Install in 30 seconds - make your curtains smart in seconds without any screws, nuts or bolts.
- Multiple Control - Offer SwitchBot App control for iOS and Android, open and close the curtain at your fingertip. Enjoy Touch & Go when giving a little pull. Check via app and remotely close the curtains for anti-theft when traveling (Bluetooth Range: 1.2km, with SwitchBot Hub Plus/Mini control remotely from anywhere).
- Healthy lifestyle - Set timer to close at night and open by Light Sensor, get better sleep and wake naturally to sunshine. Light sensor help save energy by reducing the workload on air-conditioning and heating.
- Even better with home automation - With the SwitchBot Hub Plus/Mini, the Curtain works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, IFTTT for home automation. For example, you can just say it "Alexa/Ok Google/Hey Siri, give me sunlight" to open the curtains.
- Tiny Body with Big Power - SwitchBot Curtain can push up to 8 kg (17 pounds) of the curtain and is chargeable with Solar Panel (sold separately). If you have any concerns about using it, please kindly send "Feedback" to our support in SwitchBot App.
Switchbot curtain motor review
The biggest selling point of the Switchbot is its compatibility with most existing curtains rods. We say most because if you have a twisted-style curtain rod or textured curtain rod, the Switchbot will likely get stuck or hung up on the rod. The Switchbot works best with smooth round curtain rods, U rails, and I rails. You do not need to install any special railing as you do with some other brands.
When purchasing, be sure to pick the right Switchbot model for your specific curtain rod or rail configuration. It is not universal, and you need to make sure you pick up the correct one. Amazon has all 3 styles, and they come in white or black.
If you are unsure what Switchbot curtain motor you need or have questions on whether your existing curtain rods will work, Switchbot support is great. Besides their online FAQ, they also have phone and chatbot support should you have questions or need help.
The Switchbot curtain system was also the simplest system to install. In fact, you don’t need any tools to install it. Installation is quick and super easy. You do not need to be a DIY’er to install this and get it operational.
Switchbot claims you can install your Switchbot curtain in just 30 seconds. Sure, if everything is out of the box and readily available. Otherwise, allow a few minutes to unbox your device and get familiar with the unit itself and the curtain rod placement where you want to install it to.
The biggest downside is that accessories like a smart hub and remote are not included. You don’t need a Switchbot hub or remote to control your curtains through a smartphone application, but if you want to control your curtains remotely with Alexa Alexa, Google Hub, Siri voice shortcuts, Clova, etc., you will need at least the switchbot hub in order for those to be compatible.
If you prefer to use a remote to control your curtains or have an elderly parent, you will need the optional switchbot remote. That is why the price is significantly lower than other smart curtain systems we looked at.
Another thing to consider is that the Switchbot is best for light to medium curtain applications. The heavier your curtain, the harder the system will have to work. Heavy curtains may fail to open or strain the motor decreasing its life.
Switchbot smart home curtain FAQ
I have two curtains on my window. I want one curtain to open to the left and the other to the right (e.g., center open curtains). How many Switchbot control units do I need?
You will want to purchase two Switchbot units. Each device can move in one direction.
I have a smooth, round but extendable curtain rod. Will this work?
No. The extension joint will cause the Switchbot to get hung up. It is best to use a smooth, continuous curtain rod.
I want to control my unit remotely by Google assistant. Do I need the Swicthbot hub?
Yes, you will need the Switchbot hub to control the unit remotely or through other smart home applications.
How heavy can my curtain be to work with this device?
Up to 17 lbs.
Can I create custom stop points, or is it all open, all close?
Yes, you can set custom stop points through the smartphone application.
Will this work with sloped curtains?
No, the unit must remain level at all times.
Overall, the Switchbot is an innovative unit that is a great choice if you are trying to save money and don’t need all the smart options. It’s capability can be extended by picking up the optional switchbot hub and remote. Otherwise, it works great in those light-medium use cases and can be a more affordable option if you have several windows or sliding glass doors to cover.
2. Graywind motorized blackout curtains (highest rated, top pick)
Graywind is a major brand in the smart curtain and smart blind space. It is also our top pick and recommendation as they can be made to order and are built very well.
Graywind motorized blackout curtains are best for walk-out garages and basements. The curtains provide a very high degree of shading, thermal insulation, and absolute privacy when closed.
These are some of the best smart curtains you can buy for your smart home or garage.
- Unique Fabric: 100% Blackout satin drill fabric, Emerald Green color with luxurious feel, smooth and wrinkle resistant with lustrous surface. High shading rate, provides absolute privacy and additional UV Protection, Thermal Insulation and Energy Saving. Excellent draping and stitching, pleasant to touch. Removable cloth and machine washable.
- Adjustable Track & Smart Motor: DIY track length by stretch out and draw back, easy to deal with different needs. More quiet and smooth, disassembly simple. High quality build-in power motor, smart with WiFi Connection. Just pull it and will open automatically. Free to operate manually during power-cut, no worries.
- Remote Control & APP Control: One remote can control at most 6 curtains. Compared to traditional curtain, our curtain can be controlled by mobile app (Compatible with Android & IOS) at any time, even you're away from home. Compatible with Alexa & Google Assistant, you can create groups on APP to manage all curtains and shades together if you choose our wifi motor’s products, and can voice control your smart home together. (no hub required)
- MADE-TO-ORDER: Click “Customize Now” and place the order, we can customize the size to suit your windows. Please check your Amazon messages within 24 hours after place the order since we will reconfirm the customized sheet with you. We will proceed it if we don't get your reply in 48 hours.
- After-Service: We provide a two-year limited warranty on motors, remotes and a long-term complimentary technical support. To extend your coverage further, you can purchase our "Extended Motor Service" in custom option. Please only order 1 shade to test if you are not sure about size or color. Depending on the weight and distance, a return can be costly. Please contact us by Amazon message if you have any questions. We will always at your service.
Graywind motorized blackout curtain review
Graywind has lots of options when it comes to styles, colors, and window covering solutions. They use high-quality materials and comes with a two-year limited warranty on motors and remotes.
The Graywind motorized blackout curtains come with an adjustable track which you can mount inside or outside the window space. We liked the smooth operation of the unit as it moved the curtains over the track.
Their customer support is outstanding, even offering a video call to assist during presales if you need help measuring your existing windows or sliding glass door or after the sale with installation help.
You can control the curtains through their app, which is iOS and Android compatible, through Alexa, Google Assistant, or by the included remote control. The remote control is included and can control up to 9 curtains.
Installation instructions can be unclear. They are the typical technical instructions you receive with any product. Very few products on the market ever get this correct. However, their customer support is outstanding. Amazon, as well as Graywind’s YouTube channel, has several videos that show the curtain’s installation and usage.
If you have hung mini-blinds in the past and are familiar with how most phone apps work, you will not have any problems. You will need a second person to help with the installation, especially when hanging the track.
Graywind smart home motorized blackout curtain FAQ
Is the unit battery-powered or wired?
It is wired. You need to plug it into a nearby electrical outlet.
Can the rod be mounted to the ceiling?
Yes, it can be mounted to the ceiling or wall.
What is the maximum width available?
This was our favorite unit we tested. They also have many product options if you don’t want a black-out curtain or need a smart blind system. You can tell that Graywind cares about its customers and stands behind its products.
3. Homesupplier smart curtain system
The next system we looked at is the Homesupplier smart curtain, another option for your smart home or garage. These are best installed on sliding glass doors as part of a walk-out garage, family room, or all-season room and can be set up with a central, left, or right opening.
They also have a “light-touch trigger” feature that allows you to open the curtain by slightly pulling on the curtain with your hand.
While not our top choice, they are another option to consider.
- Durable, heavy duty, quiet smart curtain. Easy assembly, DIY length by cutting. Better motor quality.
- Multiple control methods: hand-held remote, smartphone, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple Siri.
- Timer scheduling for automated opening and closing via remote or smartphone.
- Three installation choices: central, left, and right opening. Smart motor can remember curtain position and distance settings.
- Light touch trigger: manually pulling the curtain can trigger the motor to operate automatically. Manual operation available when power is off.
Homesupplier smart curtain motor review
Extremely quiet. This had one of the quietest motors of all units we looked at. You could barely hear it.
Useful installation videos to help get your system up and running. The videos are a must-watch!
Supports numerous home automation apps. Included are Amazon Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT, Smart Life, and Tuya.
You can use your own curtains.
Installation instructions are lacking, and lots of parts. Setup instructions for smart home features also need work.
Alexa setup was painful with the Tuya app, and syncing with the Wi-fi was frustrating. It took several times and could have just been us doing things out of order or our wi-fi router.
Homesupplier smart home curtain FAQ
Do you need any additional equipment to be compatible with Alexa?
No. The motor is connected to wi-fi and has everything you need to connect to Alexa for voice control.
What type of curtain does the Homesupplier smart home curtain support?
Any curtain that uses hooks. The hooks will attach to the rod.
Is the rod adjustable?
Yes, you can remove the rod segments or cut the rod to support shorter lengths.
What is the max load for the Homesupplier smart home curtain system?
What is the warranty period?
There is a one-year replacement warranty.
This smart curtain system works well, is super quiet, and feels high quality. You will need a little patience and not rush the installation process. The video setup instructions were helpful.